Innovation - why a traditional project approach rarely works
An important characteristic of Innovation is that you don't know the result when you begin. (If you knew result at the start it wouldn't be a very innovative project, would it?)
This alone poses a serious challenge for project management. Many times traditional project approaches fails, because you can't provide the specification required to form the project. So the effort never even start.
In creative work you relay on process, rather than a specification of the result.
Our approach is to set up a process that explores an situation, is fixed in time and resources, and that offers:
- Efficient participation & learning for key people
- Bringing in outside expertise & thinking
- Delivering tangible & innovative results
We have been applying this approach in projects that have resulted disruptions and leaps for our client. Some projects have even been awarded:
- Svenska Designpriset, Silver
- eChallenges Best Research Award
- NabarroNathanson Innovation Award
- Swedish Planning Award, Nomination
- the Golden Link, Nomination
If you are interested in the research behind our approach, an award winning paper is here.